Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Jabals of Amman

After Jerusalem, I have a week’s R&R, so I decided to spend two nights in Amman for old times sake. I’ve realized that something I love about Amman, and also to a large degree Jerusalem is the way they are built all over these hills (Jabals) so when you drive around at night, or sit in a bar or a restaurant or at someone’s house on the side of a hill you are surrounded by these lovely sparkles. It’s quite lovely. Anyway, in Amman I stayed at the Amra, where I have always stayed in Amman and enjoyed a bit of time round the swimming pool but was disappointed to hear that my favourite waiter and the shoe shine man with whom I used to have daily chats have both moved on since I was last here. Then I went out to dinner with Bec Reynolds, who some of my friends will remember which was lovely. She is living here for the time being. The next day I visited may favourite shops and spent the afternoon at the Hamam Al Pasha, which is one of the best things anywhere. After that it was a catch up with Alia, followed by beer with Harriet, the new head of office here. The next day was spent divided between the pool and the Syrian embassy for my visa, with a quick visit to the office. The old office (where I worked in 2003) is in the middle of receiving a fresh coat of paint in bright red and orange tones and looks fabulous, compared to the awful plain white it used to be. Then I got my visa and headed off to Syria….

No comments: