Monday, September 12, 2005

Fun and sun in Wollongong… oops, I mean Tel Aviv!


This weekend I went to Tel Aviv for the weekend. Can’t come all this way and not go to Tel Aviv. Yet again, it is radically different to Jerusalem even though it is only an hour away. My colleague described it to me as just a big beach town, and when I got there it very much reminded me of Wollongong only much bigger. Then I remembered that Jo, the ultimate Wollongong expert and one time Tel Aviv resident had also said it reminded her of the Gong. Anyway, I got myself a room on the beach (note the view from the room as per the photo!) and indulged in a little in secular sun loving and swimming, listened to the sounds of old Israelis named Shaul and Shlomo, ate fish at a Yemenite restaurant and visited the old Arab port city of Jaffa, where there are some of the very limited reminders of the Arab city and villages that were forced out of here when Israel moved in back in 1948.

1 comment:

Megs said...

The Buzz stop is still there. i wandered past it but didn't go it. it was just near my hotel.