Sunday, June 04, 2006

Next stop Managua of Nicaragua

Left El Salvador and moved on to Nicaragua. So far have just been working so nothing interesting to report, though work is fine. I’m here until Tuesday morning and then moving straight on again to Honduras. Sadly I have loads of work to do over the weekend so it looks like I won’t get out to see much of Nicaragua (ok, writing this blog is the evidence of my procrastination!!). It seems a lot poorer here than in El Salvador, though still a healthy does of the cultural imperialism of McDonalds and Burger King. Nonetheless, the place has a good feel to it so I think I like it. It’s interesting because the entire place was destroyed in 1972 by an earthquake so pretty much all the buildings here are new, and all single level, so for a capital city there is barely any tall buildings at all in the whole city. It seems nice and sleepy and pleasant, although apparently its not really because my colleagues are very sure to lock the cars doors as soon as we’re in and are a bit nervous about getting out and walking around in certain parts of town. I’m told there are great places to go dancing but looks like won’t be a chance for that, though I’ve been promised I’ll be taken dancing in Honduras. The climate here is quite nice- bloody hot but a nice dry heat which I like, despite it being tropical its not humid for some reason, though there are regular lightning storms and in fact there is one right now outside so flashes of lightning and thunder is rolling in and the power keeps going on and off… anyway, guess I better get back to work so maybe tomorrow I can take some time off to lay by the pool at least (yeah right…).

1 comment:

The Poolberts said...

Hi Megs, keep having FUN!!!