Saturday, October 22, 2005

Friday night in El Salvador

8pm on a Friday night. In Aus it will be Saturday morning and you will all be waking up with a hangover. I am in a car on the way from the airport to the hotel in El Salvador. I’ve just returned from Guatemala. I’m working for both country offices so sort of hopping between the two, which I must say is hard work, trying to be in two places at once. I have been up working at 5am every day this week, and not sleeping til 12 or 1 am. A little sleep deprived but it’s the only way to get everything done. El Salvador is a little less mad than Guatemala so I’m taking the opportunity of my return here to not work for one night before I get back in to El Salvador work tomorrow, though don’t know how long I will last tonight before sleeping. Have been traveling and working since 5am this morning.

Anyway, what to tell you? Got here on the 8th which makes it 13 days ago. Feels like 13 weeks. 4 days after got to El Salvador where I was supposed to work for 2 weeks, had to got to Guatemala, as the situation there turned very very bad. Hurricane Stan had a worse impact in Guatemala than the famous Hurricane Mitch many years ago, but I think it just hasn’t made the press or got the worlds attention because of having the misfortune of coinciding with the far greater tragedy in Pakistan. Arriving hotel will write more later.

No comments: