Friday, March 10, 2006

Things I love about Bolivia part II

You look out the window of the office and there is the most beautiful snow covered mountain
Just like the cities of Jerusalem, Damascus and Amman, the hills are alive with lights at night and twinkle away at you
You get on the plane and one minute you are above the snow capped Andes and so close you could touch them, and in an hour later you are landing at the edge of the Amazon
The first official Amazon woman I have met lived up to expectations, big, tough, wearing jeans, t shirt and thongs and riding a motorbike! Also one of the most important politicians in the Department (state).
I have a ticket to see Manu Chao on Saturday night (ok, I already said that one last time but im counting it again cos its double exciting!)
The tropical feel of the edge of the Amazon
The way the Andes are so big they make you realize just how big mountains can be, and how small our little hills are.
The way the women wear little bowler hats that don’t seem to fit but rather perch precariously on their head.
The bounce in the skirts they wear.
The fact that in the four blocks from my hotel to the office there are funky cafes and bars playing great jazz music on a Monday night.
The fact that I got off the plane in the Amazon and got dragged to a meeting of the Federation of Campesinos (small farmers). Normally I would dread such a dull meeting, but this time they talked about land titling and big companies coming in and forcing them out of their land and cutting down the rainforest, and while I’ve heard it before especially in Asia and the Pacific, somehow in the Amazon it was like, the real thing! The thing young lefties are brought up on!
Today I went to Brazil for lunch! Just a little car ride over a bridge and we in a town called Brasileira eating the best meat lovers feast ever. You sit at the table they bring you skewer after skewer of carved meat of all types and carve what you want at the table- a bit like the yum cha of roast meat! And the most delicious passionfruit juice to go with it!
The fact that yesterday I reckon I had about the best ever adventure I’ve ever had on a work day, so much so that it deserves it’s own blog, which I will write later!
That after a trip in the field I’m back in La Paz in a hotel where the people are so nice and friendly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ruby is enthralled and can't wait for Megs' most exciting work adventure...sure to be spectacular! Enjoy your concert. Your life is amazing. We miss you! D&D&R&K